Break-Away Road Bike
The venerable Ritchey Road Logic frameset established standard for performance steel road bikes. The geometry and ride had to be responsive and properly balanced for rider weight distribution and ideal handling. The lateral stiffness was there, but not a huge priority, as there was a springy feeling that contributed a fluid propulsion and pedal response. When Tom Ritchey developed the Break-Away system for convenient travel, those Road Logic characteristics had to shine through despite the coupled design, and it sure did. Though the geometry has gotten more forgiving, the same ride qualities are here, truly representative of the best feature that steel road bikes promise. When you travel around the world you come across roads with rough pavement, packed dirt, cobblestones, and even some smooth pavement or concrete. Having a hassle-free travel bike, with a forgiving, fun ride ensures a fantastic travel experience.
The Ritchey Break-Away Road Frameset makes it easy to travel with a full-size bike that rides just like a regular road bike. It features a patented system that is lighter, requires no special tools and is faster to use than other travel bike systems. The Break-Away packs into its own included wheeled travel case. Ritchey does not guarantee what the airlines will charge, but many accept the case as standard luggage, and most builds will easily end up packed at well under 50lbs. The major advantage of having your own bike to travel with, and not renting, is that you can enjoy your ideal bike fit and familiar equipment without dealing with the inconsistencies and challenges of renting.
Ritchey is famous for the heat-treated and triple-butted Ritchey Logic tubeset that is the foundation of the Break-Away Road. The investment cast lugs of the seattube/totptube junction and Cro-Mo compression coupling by the bottom bracket are the keys to the Break-Away design. The lugs securely grip the seatpost in two places and join the upper portion of main triangle to the rear. On the downtube, nearly at the bottom bracket shell, a formed compression coupling joins the tubeset in the lower connection for the front and rear triangles. The very simple coupler clamps unobtrusively around small flanges on the downtube and creates a joint that truly results in stiffness that feels like the Road Logic.
This simple and effective design only adds 100 grams to the frame. Only a 4mm and 5mm Hex wrench and the removal of two bolts are required to take apart or assemble the frame. Cables are separated with supplied, easy-to-use cable splitters. Included is a preset Ritchey Torque-Key and the full complement of necessary derailleur and brake cable splitters, along with the compression coupling, plus a spare (the joint doesn't wear, but the coupling can fatigue over time). The frame and 1-1/8" WCS full carbon fork are built for a simple drop-in headset, WCS Zero supplied - you supply the group and wheels of your choice.
This is a true road bike, with a nod to the modern and the classic, with a simplicity and durability you will appreciate as you travel, and a ride quality that will leave you with satisfied grin on your face all day long.
- Full-size steel road bike frame that can be split apart to easily fit into a travel case
- Modern touches like taller head tube, slight toptube slope, fork rake
- Classic steel frame ride quality and feel, with responsive handling
- Patented locking compression coupling system is simple and easy to use
- Ritchey heat-treated, Cro-Mo triple butted steel tubing, investment cast lugs
- Frame facts: 41.8mm Drop-in headset design, 27.2mm seatpost diameter, braze-on front derailleur, 68mm BSC threaded bottom bracket shell, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, external cable routing
- Ritchey Logic Break-Away frame
- Ritchey Carbon Road fork
- Shift/Brake levers: Shimano Ultegra R8000
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra R8000
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra R8000 GS
- Crankset: Shimano Ultegra R8000 34/50
- Brakes: Shimano Ultegra R8000
- Cassette: Shimano 105 CS-5800 11-30
- Wheels: Ritchey Road Comp
- Tires: Ritchey Tom Slick Comp 700x27
- Headset: Ritchey WCS drop in
- Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Logic II alloy
- Stem: Ritchey WCS C220
- Post: Ritchey WCS 1-Bolt alloy
- Saddle: Ritchey Comp Skyline
- Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
- Colors: Black & Tan; Silver & Red
- Frame/fork weight (Large): 2.36kg (5.2lbs)
- Includes Break-Away wheeled travel case and padding included (22mm x 67mm x 79mm / 8.5” W x 26.5”H x 31”L)
- Includes reusable padded nylon packing protection kit and 4Nm Torque-Key
- Frame and fork fit up to 28mm tires (depending on tire manufacturer, rim width)
- DO NOT grease the downtube coupler on installation
- Front derailleur clamp MAX torque of 2.5Nm
- Ritchey does not guarantee airlines will not charge
- Protected by US Patent No. 6,886,844, EPO Patent 1298046 (validated in various EPO countries), Chinese Patent No. ZL200520113128.5 and Taiwanese Patent No. 192792 & 217716